self-love club

Hi guys, I'm back with a new blogpost and it hasn't even been a week since my last one! Am I slowly getting back on track with my blog? Let's not jinx it. 

The reason I decided to upload is because I want to talk about something important: self-love. It's a term that everyone has heard before and I think we all have a different way of explaining this concept. It's a very personal topic, but also a very important one. I have made a similar post in the past, which you can read here if you want to to.


Maybe I should tell you why I suddenly got the urge to talk about this again. In a matter of a few days multiple close friends have come to me and told me that they feel like they're 'not enough' or not happy with themselves. I must admit, I feel like that too sometimes so trust me that I know how much that feeling sucks and how difficult it is to get those thoughts out of your head. A million people can come up to you and tell you 'you are enough' and you will still have a hard time believing it. 

Personally, I think that there is a bright side to this because the only person that can change your mind and your perspective is you. You are the one in charge of your own thoughts and beliefs. And I know it's not easy, that's not what I am saying. And seeking out help is fine (and necessary) but at the end of the day, it's you who has to do the heavy lifting. 

It's you who has to pick yourself up, that has to convince yourself that you are beautiful, strong and amazing. These thoughts are not easy and once they're in our head they are hard to get them out. The only way you can get them out is by loving yourself. We put so much of our happiness into other people's hands when really, we shouldn't depend on anyone for our own happiness. You should be enough for you, no one else matters here. I have written out some tips that I find helpful when I find myself in the situation of not feeling 'enough' or just feeling shitty overall. 

1. Take some time off, focus on yourself. Listen to your body and what it needs, and by that I don't mean laying in bed all day and doing nothing. You might think that that is what you need but laying in bed and scrolling through Instagram or browsing Netflix won't make you feel any better about yourself. Instead try working out or going for a walk. Read a book or some uplifting poetry. Take a hot bath and relax. Put the world on hold for a minute, because you are worthy of this time for yourself. 

2. Write down all the positive traits you find in yourself. Make a list, and don't hold back. Maybe you love the freckles you get when you stay out in the sun all day, the fact that you take such good care of your dog or how passionate you get about something. It doesn't have to be only physical because we are so much more than just our bodies. However; definitely include your body. Because your body is A M A Z I N G. The way it functions and keeps us alive, the million ways it protects us and heals itself is a miracle. Appreciate it and take care of it just like it takes care of you. 

3. Spend time with your close family; parents or siblings, the people you know accept and love you for exactly who you are. They might not always say it out loud and might tease you a lot but always remember that they'll always be the first to stick up for your and fight your battles. Parents have this special talent of detecting when their child is feeling down and always find a way to cheer them up. 

4. Remove yourself from any toxic situation and/or environment. When you feel that certain people or things are bad for you, you should love yourself enough to stick up for yourself. Know your own boundaries and do not change them for anyone. Always trust your gut instinct! Don't make up excuses why you should stay and don't hurt your own feelings to protect the feelings of others. Learn to put yourself first and don't avoid confrontation when necessary.

5. Treat yourself how you would like to be treated and how you treat others. If you won't accept others disrespecting or bashing you, why would you accept it from yourself? Be kind to you.

6. I'm repeating myself here but this one is really important, so I don't care: don't place your happiness in anyone's hands. Not your mothers, not your boyfriend, not your best friend, no one. You should be happy with who you are as a person and believe in yourself. Don't rely on confirmation of others. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting the confirmation (trust me, I do too) but don't depend on it.

I hope that some of these or even one of these tips will help someone out there because I know it's not easy. But believe me, this life is so beautiful if we want it to be. Always start with yourself.

SELF LOVE ISN'T SELFISH, IT'S IMPORTANT


Share:

0 reacties